The REPs Ireland Council has been established by Ireland Active, to oversee and support the function of the Register of Exercise Professionals Ireland. The purpose and objectives of the council are to:
- Inform the setting of policy and standards in relation to professional registration and re-registration of suitably qualified exercise professionals in Ireland.
- Provide advice in regard to industry trends, needs and opportunities that will enhance professional and industry development.
- Advise on the development of relevant industry and professional guidelines and standards of practice.
- Promote and enhance the brand of REPs Ireland and registration as a hallmark of quality and professionalism amongst industry and consumers.
- Support and advise with regard to the self-regulatory framework for registration of exercise professionals in Ireland.
- Enhance and maintain international profile and to develop commonality of professional standards that aid registration portability.
The 14 person council is comprised of a nominated Chairperson and 13 members, whom have been appointed through an open application with representation from the Education, Health, Sport and Leisure sectors as well as representation from the national register of exercise professionals (REPs) itself.
Chairperson: Michael Harrison, Waterford IT
Health: Shirley O’Shea, HSE
Education: Niamh Foley, Athlone IT
Education: Teresa Richardson, IT Tralee
Education: Maeve Clegg, Crumlin College
Sport: Michael McGeehin, Sport Ireland
Leisure: Gavin Finn, Swan Leisure
Leisure: John Windle, UPMC
Leisure: Brian King, University of Limerick Sport
Leisure: Ciaran Murtagh, Coral Leisure Group
Leisure: Celine Szpara, GymPlus Group
REPs Member: Joe O’Connor, Exercise Professional
REPs Member: Graham Byrne, Exercise Professional
REPs Member: Rory O’Connor, Exercise Professional